The concept of sorting is fundamental in the software engineering process as well as in engineering interviews.
Your interviewer is likely to ask a sorting question.
Sorting questions in a technical interview
- Data may already have been sorted by the interviewer. You will then be asked to sort it in a more efficient way.
- A coding problem requires sorting to be solved efficiently, which the interviewer will ask you to solve.
- The coding problem requires the use of a sorting algorithm.
Types of Sorting Algorithms
- Insertion sort - Best for short lists, stable, and in-place.
- Quicksort - Often fastest in practice, can be in-place but not stable.
- Mergesort - Stable but not in-place.
- Heap sort - In-place and better worst-case runtime than quicksort